Only 5 Weeks Left to Stop Disastrous Cuts!
State legislators have until May 31, 2015 to approve the FY 2016 budget. If the Governor’s proposed budget is approved, it will devastate low-income workers and families across Illinois with cuts to human services, Medicaid, subsidized childcare, and education.
We have 5 weeks left to prevent these disastrous cuts from happening and demand the state to raise sufficient revenue to fund our priorities. Here’s what you can do today:
- TAKE A PHOTO WITH YOUR MESSAGE on how these proposed cuts will impact you, your community, or the job seekers you serve. Click here for instructions.
- JOIN THE RESPONSIBLE BUDGET COALITION and share your concerns about the state budget and tax issues. Click here for more information on the coalition and how you can join.
- ATTEND an upcoming budget rally or event:
- Illinois Latino Unity Day: Tuesday, May 5 | 11:00am, Illinois State Capitol, Springfield
- No Cuts! Raise Revenue! Rally: Saturday, May 9 | 12:45pm, Wellington Avenue Church, Chicago (RSVP is required to attend. Click here for more information)
- Mental Health & Budget Rally: Wednesday, May 13 | 12:00 – 1:00pm, Thompson Center, Chicago
- Illinois Action for Children Budget Rally: Wednesday, May 13 | 11:00am, Illinois State Capitol, Springfield
- AIDS Foundation of Chicago Advocacy Days: Wednesday, May 13 | all day, Illinois State Capitol, Springfield
- Click here for more information about these and future rallies and events
- TELL your lawmakers how the proposed cuts will impact you and your community. Click here to download and fill out a worksheet from Illinois Partners for Human Service. E-mail it to Illinois Partners’ Judith Gethner (firstname.lastname@example.org) as well as your state legislators (click here to find your legislator’s contact information).
- SUBMIT a letter to the editor on how these proposed cuts will devastate communities and individuals across Illinois. Click here to view a recent fact sheet from the Responsible Budget Coalition detailing how cuts will affect Illinois communities and here for media stories related to the proposed budget.
- JOIN CJC staff in Springfield and meet with your lawmakers to share the negative effects of this proposed budget. Contact Dan Lyonsmith (email@example.com) to learn more.
If you have questions, need assistance with these action items, or have information regarding additional program cuts, rallies, and budget-related meetings, contact:
- Dan Lyonsmith, Director of Policy & Advocacy | firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.252.0461
- Andrés Moreno, Senior Communications & Outreach Associate | email@example.com or 312.252.0467
Thank you and be sure to check back for continuous updates and ways you can make your voice heard!