6 Weeks Left to Speak Out Against Disastrous Cuts
State legislators have until May 31, 2015 to approve the FY 2016 budget. If the Governor’s proposed budget is approved, it will devastate low-income workers and families across Illinois with cuts to human services, Medicaid, subsidized childcare, and education.
We have 6 weeks left to make our voices heard and to prevent these disastrous cuts from happening. Limited on time? Here’s what you can do immediately:
- SHARE how the proposed cuts will impact you and your community. Click here to download and fill out a worksheet from Illinois Partners for Human Service. E-mail it to Illinois Partners’ Judith Gethner (firstname.lastname@example.org) as well as your state legislators (click here to find your legislator’s contact information).
- JOIN THE RESPONSIBLE BUDGET COALITION and share your concerns about the state budget and tax issues. Click here for more information on the coalition and how you can participate and be part of this fight.
Here are other important action items you can do:
- ATTEND an upcoming budget rally or event:
Supportive Housing Providers Association Spring Advocacy Day | Wednesday, April 22 9:00am – 1:00pm, Illinois State Capitol (click here for more information and to register)
State Representative Christian Mitchell’s Budget Town Hall | Monday, April 27 6:00 – 7:30pm, Bouchet Math and Science Academy, Chicago (click here for more information)
- SUBMIT a letter to the editor to your local paper on how these proposed cuts will devastate communities and individuals across Illinois. Click here to view a recent fact sheet from the Responsible Budget Coalition detailing how cuts will affect Illinois communities and here for media stories related to the proposed budget.
- JOIN CJC staff in Springfield and meet with your lawmakers and share how this proposed budget will devastate your community. Contact Dan Lyonsmith (email@example.com) to learn more.
- USE SOCIAL MEDIA to amplify our united voice. Follow the Chicago Jobs Council on Facebook and Twitter for the latest budget updates and also follow our friends at the Responsible Budget Coalition (Facebook | Twitter). Be sure to use the hashtags #NoCuts & #Twill when tweeting your message against the proposed cuts.
If you have questions, need assistance with these action items, or have information regarding additional program cuts, rallies, and budget-related meetings, please contact:
- Dan Lyonsmith, Director of Policy & Advocacy | firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.252.0461
- Andrés Moreno, Senior Communications & Outreach Associate | email@example.com or 312.252.0467
Thank you and be sure to check back for continuous updates and ways you can make your voice heard!